When it comes to residential pipe repair, much of the techniques and procedures used by professionals seem cut and dry. Some pipes can be excavated manually, and some pipes can be restored with cured-in-place epoxy material. Pipe repair isn’t a mysterious thing; however, there are several important things the average homeowner overlooks when considering different pipe repair options.
For instance, any landscaping decision, large or small, can drastically complicate pipe repair should it become necessary, or rule out some otherwise ideal methods. Even planting the wrong kind of tree in the wrong spot could result in plumbing disaster if you’re not careful.
In this blog, we give you some insider tips on pipe repair, as well as insights on long-term pipe care.
Tips for Finding the Best Pipe Repair Deal
To get the most affordable and efficient pipe repair for your damaged pipes, the first thing you should do is schedule a professional video inspection of the pipe in question. This inspection can determine the exact type of damage to your pipe or sewer line, as well as its extent. This includes damage caused by:
- Root intrusion or puncturing
- Offset pipe joints
- Faulty installation
- Bellowing or pipe warping
- Protruding lateral pipe lines
- Soil activity
- Aged and deteriorating pipe materials (such as Orangeburg, cast iron or clay)
Once you know the scope of your pipe damage, you can move on to finding the right solution for the job. If damage to your pipe is isolated to a single point of intrusion or crack, there’s no reason to excavate or reline you entire pipe; that’s a problem best suited for trenchless spot repair - essentially, pipe lining on specific pipe areas.
Knowing the type and extent of your pipe’s damage, you can speak with a pipe repair expert and identify the ideal - and most affordable - repair solution.
Other factors that contribute to repair cost are circumstantial, and are based on your property and the complexity of the job. Does your damaged pipe run below surface-level objects like driveways or landscaping fixtures? How deep is the pipe on your property? These are things to think of when considering pipe repair options.
The following are some additional pointers on finding efficient pipe repair at low cost:
- When talking with pipe repair specialists, be sure to discuss rates and warranty agreements for the services required. Under warranty, you’re protected if your repaired pipe segment breaks or warps due to installation error.
- Be wary of extremely low prices - these could be hooks to get plumbers in the door, who may then charge extra for unforeseen labor and materials. Additionally, accurate pricing estimates are only be given after a professional inspection; anything stated before that is just guesswork.
- Choose a local plumbing service provider, with a solid track record of helping homeowners in your area with similar problems.
- If utility lines run adjacent to or near your damaged water line, some repair options, such as pipe bursting, may become hazardous.
Moving Forward: Keeping Your Pipes Healthy and Functional
Once you’ve had work done on your pipes and restored them to full functionality, you’ll probably want to keep it that way for the foreseeable future.
The following are some industry tips on keeping your home sewer lines in good shape for the long-term.
Research what species of trees and other plants most commonly cause root damage. For instance, common fan palms pose very little threat to underground pipe lines, while Elms are a common culprit in pipe intrusion.
Hydro-jetting, essentially power-washing for pipe lines, can eliminate clogging within your sewer lines before they result in more expensive damage.
Know what to flush! Non-flushable paper products, baby wipes and household wipes contribute to severe clogging in both home and municipal sewer systems; dont’ contribute to that problem.
Much like any other aspect of home care and improvement, getting the best deal on pipe repair depends on how well you understand the problem and your options going forward.